Wednesday, August 17, 2011

That weight loss thing

So I lost a good 12 lbs before the boat trip. Speaking of the boat trip, it totally rocked. Jack was having daily seizures when we went and the entire 4 days he didn't have a single one. NOT ONE. I think he's telling us that he wants to live on a boat. Which I'm all for, by the way.

We swam all day, had friends out, had great food, and Jack slept all night. I miss nights when he slept.

The only other thing that really sticks out in my head is that the last day Jack started to get sick. He was actually showing signs of acidosis, which is a VERY bad thing and gone untreated can lead to death. It can happen if his blood ketones (think ketogenic diet here) get too high. He was extremely lethargic, didn't want to eat, didn't want to drink, didn't want to move. Of course we didn't have any apple juice with us, which is what they treat it with, so we had to just get whatever carbs we could into him and get him back on land. He enjoyed his strawberries. We were headed back anyways and he perked up by the time we got home so we didn't have to take him in, but I was worried. But I had the dietitian on the phone in no time, I didn't have our blood ketone testing kit with us, and the nurse called later that day to make sure he was okay. But that is what I'm worried about with him being on the full diet while having surgery too because he likely won't want to eat much at the time.

Anyways, here are some pictures!





Since then both Jonathan and I have struggled with the weight loss. Lets face it, we are extremely stressed. We aren't sleeping much because Jack is on a diet that requires a lot of time and he is waking up at 5 every day, and the closer we get to surgery the more neurotic I get. 5 weeks from today.

We tried this crazy HCG diet that just ended up being a bad idea. We had awful headaches the whole 4 days that we did it, and I went from cooking every bite that one person eats to every bite that 3 people eat. The stress was enough to drive me over the edge and we were both on edge because we weren't eating much. We both lost 5 lbs in those 4 days but it just wasn't worth it.

Now, I am really just trying to keep from gaining weight in the next 5 weeks. If I can do that, I will deal with it after surgery. I would love to exercise, but when it's 100 degrees at 9:00 pm there ain't no getting outside. We quit the gym back in January because we weren't hardly using it and we just couldn't afford it anymore, so there goes our inside place. If I got more sleep, I would go at 5 am when we wake up but running on 5-6 hours of sleep just makes me really cranky.

I know that I need to stop making excuses, and after September is over I will, but until then we are all just trying to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment