Monday, June 14, 2010

Apparently, we're the hippies

Jack is napping so I'm just going to hit "publish post" when he wakes up, we'll see how far I get.

We met with the nutritionist on Friday. It was okay, but you should have seen the look on her face when I told her that we don't give Jack artificial sweeteners, nor do we plan on giving them to him. I wanted to turn to Jonathan and say, "Do I have something on my face?" because I swear I spoke english to her.

They DO cause brain damage in rats. Yes, it's in large quantities and yes, they are rats but this is a child who already has brain damage and this diet it to deal with brain issues. Call me crazy, but it seems completely backwards to give him something that could cause more damage.

Jack has never had saccharin and while he's little at least, he never will. He has also never had high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. We call them death food around here and for over a year now we have all avoided them all together. He also doesn't get MSG and as little soy as possible, but I do know that soy has been in a few things. We read labels, all of them.

Jack will have to take vitamins because this diet is lacking in a lot of ways and she gave us a powder to try and give him. He's not a huge fan. She did say that we could give him Scooby Doo Vitamins instead but of course those have artificial sweeteners. I'm sure we looked at her like she had just told us to feed him cyanide tablets.

That being said she gave (AKA: is billing us for it later) something called KetoCal. It's a formula that kids on this diet are put on. There is this whole little recipe book using this formula. Oh yeah, and it's about $35 per container. Ouch. It's also for babies who aren't on solids yet. She gave us 2 cans, one is for the savory recipes and the other is for the sweet. The first ingredient on the sweet one is Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. WTF? Really, after we went on and on about not giving him all of this crap, she gives it to us anyways? I seriously wonder if she believed me when I told her that HE DOESN'T EAT CRAP. It's either that or she thinks that there is no way we can do this without the crap.

And on that note, I will admit that compared to other parents, I'm really crazy about what Jack eats. God forbid I want him to be healthy. God forbid I set him up right from the beginning and don't feed him all kinds of carbs and sweets that are addictive and that create picky eaters. Not only do they create picky eaters but it has been shown that if they don't eat sweets for the first 3 years, then they won't want them as they get older. This isn't just about feeding him right, it's about setting him up for the rest of his life. And look what being so picky has given me, I have a child who will eat just about anything I put in front of him, he likes chicken livers, vegetables, and salmon is his favorite food. Aside from this genetic disorder that is no one's fault, he is extremely healthy. He rarely gets sick and he is a very happy kid.


Now that you've read my ranting about food I guess I'll go on to discuss how the diet actually works. And with that sentence, Jack is up, guess you'll have to hear about that later. Or you can read about it here. Charlie's Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment