Monday, February 13, 2012

Week One Review

So first I need to clarify something.  One of my goals is no processed food.  What I mean by that is that nothing from a wrapper.  I could go really extreme, but really so much is processed that it is close to impossible to completely avoid.  Cheese is processed, so is bacon, and even ground meat.  All of those things I ate this week!  And will continue to eat.  I am however not eating anything with soy, so the salad dressing I got doesn't have any in it!  I'm not eating any kind of bars either.  The cheese and bacon and ground meat that I get is all organic and grass fed.  Yum! 

One of our meals this week was a roast that I did in the crock pot.  Usually I use those packets of seasoning at the grocery store, but looking at them they have sugar, and things I can't pronounce, which isn't a good sign!  So I pulled out the cook book and made my own.  It turned out awesome, was simple and I don't think I will ever use the store bought seasonings again.  It was 1/2 cup white wine, fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic.  I added some beef broth and then a bunch of veggies.  I of course didn't use potatoes, but I did use bell peppers, carrots, green beans, and onions.

So this is how the week went:
Day 1 (Sunday)- I felt motivated.  Meals were planned, everything was good.  I worked out at the gym.  Not much else to report.

Day 2 (Monday)- I was starting to have a few cravings and headaches.  I had a session with my trainer that kicked my ass.  I didn't feel great that evening.

Day 3 (Tuesday)- I WANT SUGAR!!!!  The headaches continued and I was super sore from working out.  I managed to make a super yummy protein shake with a shot of espresso.  I hadn't planned on drinking protein shakes, but this one is from grass fed cows and is sweetened with stevia and has very few ingredients.  And the whole 20oz shake was less than 5g carbs.  I also made some kale chips which somehow helped.  Accept for the little monkey who kept stealing them!  But Phew, I was going to survive!  I took a 3.5-4 mile walk with Jack and a stop at the park in the middle.  I walked at a pretty quick pace and even jogged some.  I felt good, but that night my shins started killing me and swelling a bit.

Day 4 (Wednesday)- Most of the sugar cravings were gone.  Thank God!  But my shins were still very sore and a little swollen.  I decided to have a rest day after 3 days of working out pretty hard and being so sore.  I was out running some errands and it kept getting harder and harder to put one foot in front of the other.  I was in a lot of pain by the evening.  Ibuprofen didn't help much so I soaked in a hot bath and just went to bed!

Day 5 (Thursday)- Shins were still sore, but I could walk at least.  I wanted to exercise but something low impact, so I did the elliptical for an hour and actually felt good after, I burned 711 calories!  I also soaked in the hot tub at the gym for a while before getting in the shower.

Day 6 (Friday)- More training!  and everything hurt a bit.  It was the first time since surgery that I did anything with my abs and it hurt a little but I didn't push it too much and I survived. I struggled a bit when I was out longer than I had planned.  I ended up running an errand for a friend and didn't have a snack for me.  I am really good about always having food for Jack, I'm just not quite in the mind set to always have some for me too yet.  I did relatively okay though, I went through the starbucks drive through and got a grande-iced-sugar-free vanilla-breve-decaf, late.  Yes, I was THAT person at the drive through.  I laughed and apologized after I ordered and surprisingly they got it right.  So yeah, artificial sweetener, but still very low carb so not awful there.  I had a full meal for Jack and he only needed a snack so I let him have what he wanted and I finished off the last few bites.  It all helped and worked out. 

Day 7 (Saturday)- Finally a rest day!  Well, from working out at least.  And Jonathan let me sleep in which was very helpful.  I went grocery shopping and stopped for coffee and breakfast tacos on the way, I did get a shot of sugar-free vanilla in the coffee but only at the insides of the breakfast tacos.  YUM!!!  Really "rest" day isn't exactly true, I took Jack to the gym to swim for 2 hours and chasing him around the pool is a work-out in itself. 

Also, got on the scale and lost 6.5 lbs in a week!

Day 8 (Sunday) - We had my niece's birthday party and I managed to only eat the insides of a sandwich.  Then came home and Jonathan and I did an exercise video and Jack joined in, which was adorable.  And had a great meal cooked for me by said husband.


After a week at this, I feel much better.  Thankfully the cravings are gone and it's just a matter of staying on track.  I do meal planning every week, which is super helpful.  I don't always stick to what's on the list but that is usually because of leftovers that need to be eaten.


So, my goals for this week are to stick to the meals we have planned, take my vitamins, make sure I take a bottle of water with me in the car (I'm great about doing this for Jack, but for some reason have a block when it comes to making one for me) and continue to get to bed at an okay time.

And for some cuteness, here is a video of Jack in the swing.  He wants to go Super High and we are using it to teach him to count.  He is getting there!

1 comment: