Friday, February 24, 2012

A bump in the road

Most of you know that I have been on this work-out kick lately.  To sum it up, I did about 4-5 weeks of training with a personal trainer, then took a month off for surgery, and have been working out super hard for this weight loss competition for the last 3 weeks.  The whole thing has been torture!  Really, for the last 2 months my whole body has been sore.  I've used and re-discovered muscles that I didn't know I had.  Jack has had to walk more because I haven't been able to pick him up after some of these ass kickings I've had.  Really, it has sucked!

Towards the end of last week something magical happened though.  I finally reached that point where working out felt good.  It's a friggin' miracle when that finally happens!  The working out itself still sucks, and my trainer has kicked it up a notch.  To the point where other trainers were totally impressed with what I was doing and were following me and doing the same work out.  If what I'm doing is hard for the super skinny and uber fit trainer, maybe it's a little difficult!  I have also been pulling my trainer across the gym and throwing around some crazy weight while burning around 700 calories a work-out.  I'm still sore after, but not to the point where I feel like I'm gunna die and I finally get that after work-out high that everyone talks about.  I finally reached the point where I WANT to work out.

If you are waiting for the other shoe to fall, well, it did.  I was stepping off the curb at the store, putting stuff in the car, and didn't realize there was a ditch where I was stepping and I completely rolled my ankle and went down hard.  This wasn't a little twist, but rather a full roll that instantly started to swell.  I can not begin to tell you how pissed I was.  I have been being so careful when it comes to getting injured.  I have told my trainer when things have been too difficult or something doesn't feel right, I have made myself take rest days and forced myself to rest and go slow when things have hurt.  I can not believe that a friggin' curb took me out.

On that note, it didn't take me out for too long.  After 2 days of limping around I went and got an x-ray today just to make sure it wasn't broken.  I've been able to walk a little so I was pretty sure my ankle wasn't broken but I can't move my toes because the top of my foot hurts too much.  Thankfully nothing is broken but I was told not to do any exercising with it for 2-4 weeks.  Dumb ass doctors!

So now I have all of this energy to work-out, but am told not to do it.  I am also so worried that I'm going to lose that desire to exercise and that high I get from it and have to start all over again.  AIN'T GUNNA HAPPEN!  I actually headed to the gym this afternoon and did the stupid arm bike thing.  It's for people with knee/leg injuries and doesn't involve the lower body at all.  It SUCKS!  But I was able to talk to my trainer and we brain stormed a bit.  He is coming up with exercised for me.  I know of some floor work I can do, laying on the mat or with the exercise ball that would be fine.  I can continue to do the arm bike for cardio and there is this sitting down elliptical thing that uses legs and arms that I tried and it was fine.  After another week or so hopefully I can do some swimming too which can mix things up a bit.  I soaked in the hot tub after my hour work-out and this evening my ankle actually feels better than it has since this all happened on Tuesday.  I currently have no ibuprofen or vicodin in me and I'm okay.  The last few nights I have needed both.   

This did throw me off for a few days, exercise wise, but I am figuring it out.  The swelling isn't bad and I'm staying off it as much as possible, as much as possible while taking care of a toddler that is.  I've been buckled down food wise but I'm going to have to make extra sure that I don't eat anything extra because realistically I won't be burning as many calories, but with any luck I can at least keep the momentum going until I'm all healed up.  This is so frustrating though! You have no idea how badly I have wanted wine the last few evening, but I have held tight and resisted. 

I've lost 11 lbs so far in less than 3 weeks, I'm just hoping that doesn't stall too much.

Here are some pictures of some of the yummy foods I've been eating!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 
 Crustless quiche!  We all love it, and it's even better when I actually get to eat it instead of having it stolen by the toddler.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Fage full fat yogurt, a few strawberries, and pecans.  So good that it feels like cheating!  And only 5g of carbs! 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Whoever said that you can't have pancakes or waffles on a low-carb diet hasn't been to our kitchen!  These are Jack's famous blueberry waffles, and they rock.  I can only finish 2 triangles of them but Jack can of course eat all of his and then polish off whatever I can't finish.  This comes in at just under 7g of carbs for the whole thing. 


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
And these lettuce wraps are killer!  I'm not sure what kind of crack Jonathan put in them, but they rock.

If there is one thing for sure, I at least don't feel deprived when it comes to what I'm eating!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say "grrrrr". I am angry with you. I figured that if you were going to get injured, it would have happened while with your trainer. Instead, a curb got you. It is more common than you think, but I can only imagine the frustration. Great job sticking to working out even if you have to use that stupid arm bike thingy. Stay strong, mama!

    ReplyDelete