Tuesday, February 22, 2011

tests we will be doing on the wee one

The chances of Jack having TSC were 1 in 6,000. The chances of a baby having downs syndrom is 1 in 750. Go figure.

But even with those stats and both Jonathan and I testing negative for TSC the chances of having another baby with TSC increases to 1-3% because of Jack, that is approximately 1 in 100 to 1 in 33. And 33 is a MUCH smaller number than 6,000.

The only way to know for sure before the baby is born is to do an amnio. The amnio does carry some risks and we wouldn't terminate either way so we are passing on that test. I thought about it for a while, but the idea of losing a healthy baby because of running a test just isn't worth it to me.

Our doc does 2 high level ultrasounds, one at 12 weeks and one at 24. We will be focusing a lot on the baby's heart because if TSC is diagnosed before birth it is because of heart tumors. We are also adding an additional level 2 ultrasound at 32 weeks. After she arrives we will be borrowing the woods lamp that is in Dr. Kane's office (because of Jack). I know exactly what shelf it sits on and I will be going over this baby's skin very carefully. If both of those come back clear then we will wait a few months to take the baby to Dallas and have a blood test done. Honestly, I won't be completely at ease until I see that blood test. My OB isn't worried and is mostly doing the extra ultrasound to put my mind at ease. At the same time, if she does have heart tumors before birth then we need to know about them so that we can make sure that little heart is okay after birth.

Thankfully I know what infantile spasms look like and have an in to the neurologists so if baby does start having seizures, they will be treated right away.

And yes, I did refer to the baby as "she". I think it's a girl. It's just my gut feeling and I could be completely wrong. Jonathan thinks it's a boy. If we go off of who is usually right, I win :-) We'll know sometime in April.

1 comment:

  1. Sending thoughts and prayers for a healthy, happy and dare i say it, a girl? :-)

    ReplyDelete