Friday, September 17, 2010

It's nothing like a gluten-free diet

I've had several people say that they know how difficult a special diet is because they (or their children) are on a gluten-free diet.

So let me first say that I get that a gluten-free diet is a pain in the ass. We did it with Jack for 8 months, the entire time he's been on solid foods so I know what it's like. It can be a pain, but honestly it's just more annoying than anything. Gluten is in everything and you have to always read labels. Now when I read a label not only am I looking for gluten but I look for hidden carbs. Even things that have zero calories can still have hidden carbs. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten something home only to look at my list and not be able to use it.

With a gluten-free diet you can still go out to eat, with the ketogenic diet you can't.
With a gluten-free diet you aren't restricted to how many calories you can have each day, with a ketogenic diet you are.
With a gluten-free diet you get to drink almost anything, with a ketogenic diet there isn't much you can drink.
The list could go on and on. My point is, they are NOTHING alike and while I appreciate people trying to relate, it just get on my nerves when they compare the two.

I know that people aren't trying to offend me, they are trying to relate and say that they understand. They just don't know that they don't really understand.

So I decided to make a few video's to show what the diet is really like. This first one is about what it's like to feed Jack, how we get his meal into him and why it's important to get a balance of all of his food in.

I did the video very spontaneously so please ignore the mess. And because I had none of this planned, it's not completely comprehensive but it's close. I have no idea why it shows up so flippin' big. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!!!

    My nephew is on the gluten free diet. They struggle with giving their child meals, he doesn't want to eat much (much like any toddler these days) and they complain.

    They have no idea what we go through!! My son wants more food. I feel soo bad when I can't give him anything else.

    One drink I found that has really helped us through is Powerade Zero. No carbs, no sugar. Our son loves the grape. We now buy it in cases

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't looked at the powerade. We don't do aspartame though so that limits it too. He is loving his cup of koolaid that he gets though, I sweeten it with stevia and he gets his baking soda in that and he sucks it down. It's his "treat" for the day. Koolaid pop-sickles are also a hit.

    ReplyDelete