Sunday, April 4, 2010

A rough few days

Poor baby Jack. I'm up at midnight because I took a nap with him today and because I'm worried about him.

Yesterday and last night were awful, seizure wise. He had 9 seizures during the day and then 2 at night. Last night he went to bed at his normal time, about 7-ish but then woke up around 11. He didn't cry, so I left him in his crib but I did notice him pulling his hair. Around 11:30 he started to get a little upset so I went in and he didn't calm down or go back to sleep until 2. It was awful. Maybe the hair pulling was because his head hurt? I'm not sure.

Then I heard him at 3. He was doing this pathetic scream but with his eyes closed. That went on and off for about 10 minutes but he never sat up or even opened his eyes so I didn't go in. At 4 he was up again, screaming bloody murder and didn't calm down until 4:30. He had also had a diaper leak and I gave him some tylenol because something was hurting. He did the same thing from 6-6:30.

He is very good at putting himself to sleep. Something we really had to work at after the steroids. It took a long time but it was totally worth it. I've never let him just cry, but I also know his noises really well and if he's not distraught then I give him a few minutes to work things out. Given his medical condition I will NEVER just let him scream. He usually calms down really quickly, but last night was a different story.

This morning I called the neurologist on-call and was super glad it was our Dr. He told us to give Jack a one time boost of the seizure meds and then up the dosage again this evening. This basically maxes out his dose of the meds. The doctor is discouraged and thinks we are going to have to add another med which he doesn't really want to do but he doesn't think that the increase is going to make much of a difference. I do think that this med is keeping the spasms away, it's just not treating the partial seizures.

And then today he had 8 seizures. He cried most of the time we were at my mom's for Easter lunch. Jonathan and I actually ended up eating on the patio because Jack was content splashing in the puddles outside for a bit. We left early, gave him some motrin, and put him down for his nap. He was in a much better mood after the nap but still had a few seizures.

And days like these last few are extremely stressful. I just want my baby to be okay. I didn't sleep hardly at all last night and I'm up after midnight tonight because I just can't sleep. I desperately need sleep because God only knows what tomorrow is going to bring and I deal with all of this better if I'm rested.

And next weekend we are going to Dallas for a town hall meeting with some of the doctors from the TS clinic up there. I need to call and see about getting genetic testing done while we're there and also check to see if the hotel has cribs. Not that ya'll needed to know that, just that if it's written down maybe I won't forget.

Ok, back to trying to sleep. Thankfully all is quiet in Jack's room.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what you must be going through. You want nothing more than for Jack to be OK but unfortunately it's not that easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong momma! What med is he taking? We went through so many when Brayden first started meds. Some worked, but made him too out of it, others never worked, some worked temporarily. He is currently on two meds and we keep Diastat on hand and at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies.

    He's currently on Sabril. That's the only seizure med that he's on. He's also about to start a round of antibiotics because he has a raging ear infection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are true role models. Just the way you take things in stride but also show people how it affects you.

    For what it is worth, Keppra (Levetiracetam) is pretty good for ped neuro patients with partial seizures and dosage-wise it can go as high as 6000mg/day (compare this to say 1000mg/day for the occasional-seizure epileptic).

    In any case, I send you some strength and well-wishes from SoCal.

    ReplyDelete