Sunday, May 29, 2011

I hate this stupid weekend

Let's just get this out of the way first. I'm not at all complaining about the service people who have served or died for our country. They should be honored. End of story.

Growing up, this weekend was ALWAYS spent at the lake. For the first 29 years of my life. I was 3 months old the first time they took me camping. We have tons of stories, mostly about toughing out a rain storm on the weekend, because I remember one that it didn't rain on us. ONE in 29 years.

Missing this weekend was like missing Christmas. It was as big a deal as Christmas and it was one of those thing that we just knew what we were doing that weekend. Actually, all 3 holiday weekends over the summer. Memorial day was the kick off to summer and the boating season. 4th of July is just another good excuse to all get together and go camping, and Labor day was one last bang. And we were at Lake Travis every one of those weekends of my life.

Now, since my parents are divorced, it's all gone. And it's so depressing. The first one after the separation was when Jack was tiny and I cried all weekend. We vowed that we would go do something and start our own tradition. I don't want to join in whatever little gathering someone is having, I want to start a new tradition. I wish there was camping on Lake Travis, but there are so few places to do it now. Not to mention having a boat makes the whole thing much better.

Last year we went to the coast with my dad and his girlfriend and my brother and his family, which was good, but it was when we discovered that Jack has seizures while traveling and we all didn't sleep well and the mosquitoes were the most awful things ever. It was rough. We were thinking it would be a good new tradition, but we can't travel with Jack much right now. Which leave me sitting here on the couch all alone with Jonathan in the Phillipeans. We did at least have plans to go on the boat tomorrow afternoon, but my mom canceled. So yeah, I hate this stupid weekend.

Maybe I shouldn't complain. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and a beautiful boy. And I am grateful for all of those things. But you know, the last few months have really sucked, my body still isn't cooperating with me, and I'm just sick of it. I think I need to open a bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment