Thursday, March 24, 2011

Something to look forward to

This week has been difficult, to say the least. But Spring has sprung (and given us a taste of what summer will be like) and we have been enjoying being outside.


In fact, last weekend we even got out on the lake for the 1st time this year. And Lake Travis is my happy place. Has been all my life. And what I love is that it also seems to be Jack's happy place.

Jack LOVES boats and the lake. A few weeks ago we were in the car and the truck next to us was towing a boat. He spotted it and got all excited. He pointed and said, "boat boat boat boat" (which sounds more like "bot") and then made motor boat noises. So cute.

This was last year on the boat.


Those of you who have known us for a while know that we like to take vacations. And we like to do vacations up right! But you also know that we can't really take Jack far from home right now because napping in the car is almost ALWAYS a seizure trigger. It's one of those things that we hope will change with time, but we don't expect it to be anytime soon. I'm guessing we are just going to have to wait until he doesn't need naps anymore, but only time will tell. You can't imagine what we go through to make sure he doesn't sleep in the car. Our whole day revolves around it. It can be frustrating at times but just one of those things you do as a parent. Sometimes, what is best for your child comes above everything else and having the least amount of seizures possible is what we have to do. I'll take being stuck in Austin (not a bad place to be stuck by the way) over causing my child further brain damage. (And we totally appreciate those of you who come to see us because of this!) Thankfully, my mom came up with a way for us to have a vacation that (I think) will work for Jack. And we can't wait!

We will be staying on a house boat on lake Travis for a week. This house boat!


My brother and his family will be coming too so Jack will get to play with his cousins. He LOVES Grace and is twice as big as her even though she's 13 months older.


But the two are very cute together and seem to enjoy each others company.



So, sleeping arrangements are going to be interesting. It's a very large house boat, but we're also going to have 6 adults and 3 children there. But then again Jack has been sleeping great (at night) when we've been away the last 2 times. (I promise an updated post about all of that before too long). I am hoping that we can actually get him to nap in a bed because I think that will be better for him, but it's one of those things that we will play by ear and do what we need to do. So the plan is that if he has seizures, we can simply bring him home to sleep at night and then head back out in the morning, because it would only be about a 20 min drive. It's a brilliant plan really. Plus we have a full kitchen for all of his food and meals. I actually don't know how we would get on a plane with keto anyways. It's just too much to deal with.

So YAY! I can't wait! Not to mention the hot tub on the top deck and the slide off the back of the boat.

1 comment:

  1. When I think that I used to put Jeremy in the car and ride around so he would get some rest! I am glad this week is over for you and your family. I love the vacation idea..moms are good for so many things! You are so blessed to have such a loving, supportive family. Peace

    ReplyDelete