Friday, November 18, 2011

Freedom in Food


We have been floundering a bit to figure out this new Modified Atkins Diet (MAD for short).  The nutritionist has been slightly helpful but the biggest part of it is simply logistics.  We have to make sure we always have food in the fridge that we can eat (it's extremely difficult for me to cook when I'm the only one home with him because he still wants to be very close to me), and also at least a snack in my bag.  I have discovered some great nut packets that only have 3g of carbs that I can stick in there for emergency situations.

On keto, Jack was getting about 12g of carbs a day.  Now on MAD he can have 20-25 a day!  That is a huge difference.  We also no longer have to restrict his protein intake so he can have as much as he wants.  The other night he kept saying "beef" for the pot of stew I made!  I've also done fried chicken and made peanut butter cups.  All of the recipes are modified, of course, but my keto experience has helped in the creating of yummy low-carb food. 


Jonathan and I are also following a low carb diet now too.  We want to lose some weight and get in shape so I have re-joined the gym and actually have a meeting with a personal trainer this afternoon.  I only need about 8 more cups of coffee before I'm ready because Jack woke up at 4:45.  Anyways, Jonathan and I now don't eat anything in front of Jack that he can't have.  With the acceptation of coffee that is.  Jonathan usually doesn't leave for work until 8 so we all sit down to breakfast together.  Usually it's eggs and sausage or bacon with either acorn squash or strawberries.  Jack just gets extra butter and cream in his eggs.  But on occasion, if it is requested by the little man, I will make something like waffles.  I have an apple waffle recipe that has just over 5g of carbs and is made of ground nuts, egg, and a few other things.  It's very good!

I have weighed out most of his carbs for the last week, and there is just no way he would eat the volume of 5 carbs of veggies in one meal.  It's huge compared to what he was getting.    On keto we counted every 10th of a gram of carbs, so the carbs in eggs counted, the carbs in avocado, in sour cream, in heavy cream, in EVERYTHING!  Now, I count his veggies at up to 5g a meal, which I know he isn't eating that much, and then the side of avocado with oil I don't count.  If I give him a cream soda (heavy cream, sparkling water and flavored stevia) then I make sure he doesn't get too many carbs in his veggies, and I count the carbs from nuts, but the freedom we have found in playing with his meals is incredible!  And sometimes a bit overwhelming. 

We are trying to stick to eating 4 times a day because it has been working for us.  That was all he was allowed to eat on keto but as long as he eats well, it works fine now too.  Doing this I know that I can plan 5g of carbs for every meal (making 20g a day) and then I leave the other 5g as wiggle room for things like cream, avocado, etc. and extra nuts or cheese between meals if he needs another snack. 

As you can see by my rambling, there is a lot of thinking going on over here about his food!

But I will tell you this, it is awesome to all be able to sit down at the table and eat together.  To let him try things from our plate, which of course he would prefer to his plate even though it's the same thing.  To be able to let him mostly feed himself!  We now have to take his shirt off before he eats but he gets so excited when he gets something on his fork or spoon and has to show us before he eats it.  Then he claps for himself!  We no longer have to scrape the bowls with a spatula, or make sure he finishes every bite!!!!  I can not tell you the stress that has gone away from that alone!  He also doesn't have to eat off the floor anymore, but he still does on occasion.  We are having to re-train him to know that he doesn't have to do that anymore.  The dogs are very happy with the new situation too.

And we can finally go out to eat with him!  We celebrated with a big dinner at a local steak house with family and friends.  Jack was very excited to see his cousin Grace and then not so happy when she was shy when she first got there.  So he threw his fork across the table at her but thankfully didn't hit her.  Did I mention that he's very 2 now?  But he ate all kinds of things and tasted lots of new tastes.  He will try anything that we offer but he often spits it out after we put it in his mouth.  I think we took him out every day for the first 3 days.  I try to take either cream soda or avocado with us as a side of fat and then we just order protein and veggies.  We have to be careful about hidden carbs so we are underestimating I think, but I would rather underestimate than go over.  

But the moral is that we all really like the new diet.  I am so excited that he gets to eat Thanksgiving dinner with us.  I think I'm even going to make some of his special cookies to share with everyone.  We were at a gathering the other day and his cousin really enjoyed feeding him cheese.  We are going to have to watch that one though because that night he had awful stomach cramps for about 3 hours.  I was worried that it might be kidney stones for a bit (another common side effect of keto) so we want to make sure that doesn't happen again.  Plus cheese does have some carbs and he would eat a whole block if we let him. 

As we experiment more and come up with new things I will post some recipes and pictures.  But for now, here is the fried chicken:


I took organic chicken breast and dipped it in egg.  Then the breading is equal parts of almond flour and parmesan cheese.  I then fried it in coconut oil, which is MUCH healthier than vegetable oil.  Super yummy!

1 comment:

  1. HI Sheryl my name is Ashley and I am in the March 09 birth board. I remember Jack from when our Marchies were wee little ones. I just recently found your blog and wanted to say we have been praying for you guys. I am so happy to see his progress. I think your family should get family of the year award....to go through all that you guys have been through is really a testament of what a strong, loving family you have. Your story has really touched my heart and we will continue to pray for little Jack and your family.

    Best wishes,
    Ashley @ Thereisnoplacelikehomemade

    ReplyDelete