Sunday, October 9, 2011

Digging Deep

First, here are a few pictures from the hospital.  I don't think much of a re-cap is necessary.  It sucked, that pretty much sums it up.

Those bandages had to be changed way too much!



The look on his face here pretty much says it all.


This is how we slept the whole time and spent most of our days.  I haven't slept in a crib in 30 years and I don't want to again!


This was a prayer blanket made for him by the women at a Catholic church out in Marble Falls.  He still likes to sleep with it.  


This was looking at some cards made for him by a class of students down in Houston.


And looking at a book of Seize Hope pictures that was made for us.  His nurses were awesome! 


We called this a spiked drink.


And on the last day with the grid in, Tuesday, he was finally starting to feel a little better, he wanted to sit on the floor and we even got a few smiles out of him.




 We were prepared for the crappiness of the grid, we were not however prepared for the severe anxiety that would come after the 2nd surgery. 



 We all started to go a little crazy in the PICU again.  If you look closely, you can see the swollen little rock star. 



He was VERY excited when he finally got to ride in a wagon!  He rode and rode and rode but Mama had to be there with him.  The next day the only way I could get him to ride in anything was for me to sit in a wheel chair and hold him and then someone could push us.


One evening he perked up for about 10 minutes and was telling that dog to stay.  He was giggling and being his normal happy self.  I'm so glad that we saw that, otherwise I would be extremely worried.    


 We did have a lot of visitors in the hospital, which was great.  And some of them cheated at tick-tack-toe.


And others danced with bugs!  Jack of course slept right through his cousins being there and woke up 5 minutes after they left. 

 




































We got let go last Saturday, I think mostly because the NP who was there saw how badly Jack was freaking out whenever anyone dressed in scrubs would enter the room or even try to talk to him in the hall.  They all decided that he would actually heal better at home.

We were hoping that the anxiety he was having would ease up a bit after getting home, but sadly we were sorely mistaken.  Up until Thursday he did nothing but sit on me and scream bloody murder.  I can't go to the bathroom without him having a major melt down.

He is now sleeping in our bed with us.  I was sleeping in his bed with him but he would flip out in the middle of the night if he woke up because Daddy wasn't with us.  Then when Daddy was with him he would flip out that I wasn't there.  In the bed with us, we all get more sleep so we are going with it until he adjusts a bit.  

Thursday he finally started to loosen up a little.  I still can't pee without him flipping out but he is finally interested in a few books and the ipad and he isn't screaming non-stop.  He still gets very upset is either Jonathan or I walk out of sight.  The poor child goes into major melt-down and just flips out.  I can't really blame him.  The last time I left him someone cut open his head and scooped out part of his brain, so who could really fault the child for having a little separation anxiety?  I must admit though, I was not at all prepared for this part.

Some of our friends went through this a little over a year ago and they told us to take video of the things that he can do so that if he needs therapy, we could just use the video as references for what he could do.  So I took a lot of video!  I was somewhat prepared for him to have some seizures, for him to lose some skills or speech, but none of that happened!  I did not expect him to have massive anxiety attacks though.  I just wish there was something more we could do for him.  Our 2nd day home from the hospital I yelled at one nurse on the phone and cried to another and finally got the doctor to call me.  He gave us some anxiety meds to give Jack, which helped a little but not much, and said that it was just going to take time.  Like I said, we are having to really just dig deep to get through this. 






And there are very few shirts that I will actually put over his head because they stretch enough!  


2 comments:

  1. Oh sweet baby boy! I would freak out too after all he has been through. What a little trooper. I am relieved you are home and that the surgery went well. Been saying a whole lot of prayers and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear hearts, I wish we could take away all the stress and anxiety you have been going through! We think about you every day. It is wonderful that he hasn't lost any of his speech and skills! I know that was a possibility. Praise God!

    I am glad to see that Jack is SMILING!! We all love all of you dearly.

    Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete